Tuesday, September 08, 2009

sipping september

We were at a wedding rehearsal dinner recently and someone encouraged the couple to "sip" in the moments of their special day...instead of "gulping" and just getting through it. I have been thinking of this so much in my day-to-days...taking advantage of small moments to make lasting memories.
We had a four day weekend for the holiday and were able to go and spend it at my parent's farm. It was so nice to be together and enjoy the moment. My heart is full after sipping in different moments with each child. Here are a few things I am learning about each one of them...

1. My baby boy is 4 months old but wants to be about 8 months old! He is rolling everywhere and trying to scoot. After each nap and night sleep, we find him on his tummy, inched into the corner. He is so interactive, talking and following me wherever I go with his eyes. He has the biggest smile! He is more of a bubbly kind of happy instead of content. He wants to be where the people are, and to be included.

2. KatieKate is so very two. She is a delight to be around when happy but in an instant, she can be whiny and gets her feelings hurt easily. Thankfully she also moves on and can be distracted with some of her favorite things: babies, books, outside! She is settling into our new school routine well, napping each day from 12:30-2:30. One of her favorite times of day is picking up Jack from school. It's been sweet to see her become more affectionate as she starts and ends her days giving each family member a hug and kiss, saying "lud you."

3. I am finding that my Josie-girl is so smart! She was completely overshadowed by big bro but I have been surprised to see that she knows all of her letter sounds and can even tell me words that begin with each letter. She has absorbed so much. I have to admit I was a little sad when she began to attempt a jigsaw puzzle the other day. I realized she had never done one all by herself...always with Jack or me. She was hesitant, but I kept encouraging her, and when she finished it all, she beamed with pride. Then, she went on to do the puzzle about 50 times that day.

4. My Jack-boy still loves all things baseball. He collects cards, watches the Rangers, studies the Rangers game program/schedule, throws the baseball against the garage door to field, takes about 100 pitches a day from Will/Doc/Mam/Mommy, listens to talk radio, and reads "Casey Back at Bat" daily. So, this kindergarten thing has messed with his baseball time a bit, but it is great motivation to get homework done (yes! homework in kindergarten!) so he can play ball. To get in his world and spend time with him, we have all become fans of the game, even the sisters!


What a busy and sweet season of life. Will and I are just trying to cross paths every once in a while, as he coaches varsity volleyball, ministers to the families of our church, takes Jack to school each morning, and serves our family faithfully. At the end of the day, we still can't believe these little blessings are ours and we are committed to sipping in as many moments together as possible!

5 comments:

KatieKate said...

LOVE catching up on your family, Friend!!! You do such a great job remembering all the little bits of each kiddo :)

ginny said...

I can't believe how much older Sam looks! We only saw y'all a couple months ago, right? But, that is half is life, I guess. Precious, precious children!

Christal said...

It was such a treat to get to see you/Will and meet 1,2,3 and 4! They are all precious. Hope to see you again soon.

Linda D said...

great post Cara. You guys seem to be doing well. Your post was sweet and happy. How come all of mine seem so different? anyways, oh well. Kate is really growing up. I notice it on her the most!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet Cara.