Tuesday, September 14, 2010

five years with Jo


Dear Josie,
We have been talking about this day for a long time. "When you're five, you will...."
And now it's here, and I can't believe it! Out of all of the kids, you seem to be growing up the fastest. I remember so vividly swaddling you as a baby (left thumb out!) and holding you close. I remember your big blue eyes and sweet little voice as you learned to talk. And now you're my little helper. You make Sam laugh, help Kate wash her hands, and root for Jack as he plays endless innings of baseball! You are like our family cheerleader!
At five years old, you are tall and have the longest legs! You still love to snuggle with your pink blankie and suck your left thumb. We started Tuesday school today with your friend Mia and you show all the signs of being ready to read! It's going to be a great school year with you.
I love being around you. You and I have had many special dates in the past year - going to plays, movies, ice cream, or shopping. You are such a joy to be around. You are so silly and love to make others laugh with made up jokes or movie lines. "Guess that movie line" is your favorite mealtime game. No one can stump you!
At five, you wear size 5 and some size 6 clothing. You wear size 11 or 12 shoes. You don't have an opinion about fashion yet, and it's kind of nice. I like that you like to play girly things, like dollhouse or dress-up, but can also hang with Jack in a game of catch, soccer or tag. Let's just say you are very well-rounded. This will serve you well through the years!
Some say you look like me, but I think you are so much prettier. And sweeter. And more joyful. Your cup is always half full, and you think the best of everyone in our family. I honestly wish I were more like you.
This year saw you completing your second year of dance, learning to swim totally independently, moving into a room with Kate, finishing preschool and moving into Homeschool 1, and making your first best girl friend, Mia.
Five looks great on you, and it's going to be the best year yet!
Happy birthday, Sis. I thank God for you.

Love you forever,
Mommy

No comments: