I love checking Jack's journal periodically to gain insight on his heart and mind. A recent one touched me. He had to write (for school) what his family did together. Keep in mind his sentences are still very basic....but speak volumes.
1. "We eat dinner together." I love that he thought of this first. We have made so many memories at the dinner table....talking, expressing our "happy/sad" things for the day, and reading our devotion together. The tv is off, we sit at the table, we take turns talking, and we laugh. Sam has added a bit of spice to our dinners with his vibrant attitude, but we are all there, sharing our days with one another.
2. "We read the Bible and go to church." Having four readers in the house has made this so exciting! Jack and Josie love to read. Just this morning the kids and I had home church since poor Sam had a fever and ear infection. I read from the book "Leading Little ones to God." It's an amazing book that takes you through the Bible and answers tough questions for kids. Reading the Bible is a part of our day....and memorizing it too. We are slowly but surely working through our ABC verses - this week we had "P." Our goal is to finish by the end of the school year, then we will review in the summer and start over again in September! It's been a fun journey, but the best part is when I hear them practicing on their own. Yesterday while Kate was playing with her babies she was telling the baby, "Obey God because your are his children!"
3. "We play games and we have fun outside." I want the kids to remember the fun days we had together. A day is not complete without board games, (faves right now Trouble and Sequence) shooting baskets in the front driveway, and imaginary games in the backyard. I am thankful every day for our opportunity to go to school at Grace Prep. It means that we have so much more family time. It means that we play together every day. It means I can say "yes" much more than I have to say, "I can't."
We eat together. We worship God. We play together. We try to fill our days with what is important. It's what we do.
1 comment:
Sweet post, Cara! And you're right, you are filling your days with what is important. Thanks for sharing - very encouraging!
I have been wanting to order "Leading Little ones to God." So I am guessing you recommend it?
Post a Comment