"I'm going to miss baseball!"
These were Jack's words after Game 5 of the World Series. He was holding back the tears and sad to see it end. We all were. Sounds silly to many, I know. But the Rangers season meant so much to us this year. 162 games, and we missed maybe 2! It became a part of our daily schedule and routine. And it wasn't just Jack and Will who loved it. This Rangers team was a part of our family. You know it's important when your 3-year old little girl is chanting "do the claw" and your 5-year old girl can recite the batting lineup!
I am not idolizing these players. I know they are flawed just like all of us. But this was a great team, and I believe that God was honored by the way they played and treated each other. I also feel that we were given this gift of a great season during a very difficult season in our son's life. When Jack broke his arm in June, we were all devastated. I will never forget lying in the hospital for 3 days watching the Rangers with Jack. I will never forget waking him early to receive his factor medication here at home from a home health nurse. What did he want to watch to distract him while he was infused? Taped Rangers games. When we travelled to Colorado in July with my parents (who are also huge fans) we were worried that we would miss a few games because we were told the Rangers games were not televised in CO. Guess what? We watched the Rangers there every night as well! Sounds silly, but it's like the Rangers were playing for our family!
I don't know how to wrap up this season in words. I know a new baseball season will be starting soon (less than 90 days until pitchers and catchers report!) and we will be there opening day. But, I will never forget this Rangers team and what they meant to us. I will never forget the delight in my son's eyes when we won the pennant. I will never forget seeing my husband become like a little boy in his excitement. I will never forget the image of our kids' grandparents taking them to the ballpark to make a memory.
We will miss baseball!
See you soon, Rangers.
1 comment:
Cara, I saw Jack and your parents at the World Series. I recognized them because I keep up with your blog. I knew Clay and all 'the guys' at A&M...I was Gwendy's roommate and good friends with Sara (Davis) Midturi. I have 2 little boys now and we also greatly enjoyed this baseball season! GO RANGERS!! Amy (Moore) Dantzler
Post a Comment