Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pep Talks


We have a lot of pep talks around this house. I like to call it encouragement. Yes, I am a full-time cheerleader/coach/teacher to a one-year old and a two-year old! I think I spend at least 80% of my day instructing and guiding these little guys to "love and good deeds!" (Hebrews 10:24) I sound a little like a broken record but that's ok because it's important. I take my job very seriously.
Some examples of my pep talks:
1)Jack, say please. Have a grateful heart and say thank you.
2)Jack, no whining. Go to your room, and you can come out when you're happy.
3)Josie, no throwing food from your tray. Food is for eating, not throwing.
4)Josie, no playing in the trash can. Trash is yucky.
5)Jack, no jumping off the couch. It's not safe.
6)Jack and Josie, obey Mama the first time and with a happy heart.
7)Be kind to each other. Say you're sorry when you hurt one another.
8)Give each other a hug and forgive.
At the end of most days, I am the one who needs the pep talk! This is a tough job - the toughest maybe - but what great benefits! Some of the bonuses I have received this week are: wet kisses from JoJo, hugs around my legs from Jack, huge grins from both, and perhaps the best....the other night when Jack said "I love Mama." I also happen to have the best co-worker and teammate in Will. There are many days when he gives me pep talks and encourages me in this job. I hope my kids grow up to be like their Dad!
I love this photo, where the roles have been reversed. The kids just love watching their Dad play softball and insist on giving him "pep talks" each time he is in the dugout. Jack's encouragement sounds like this - Daddy, hit ball, run fast! Josie just points.
Right now the kids can't give us feedback on how we're doing as parents.........but I hope they will say that our pep talks helped them become people who love the Lord and want to serve others. I will continue this job with all my love, time, and energy. Then I will ask the Lord to do the rest! To all you parents out there - keep it up!

3 comments:

Clay said...

well...you are peppy! Seriously, this is the cutest photo I have seen in awhile. And thanks for the encouragement. You are an excellent Mom & I'll ship Clay to you to learn manners...since he thinks it's ok to yell in other children's faces. Love you, girl. -Kat

KatieKate said...

SOOOOOO great.

Unknown said...

And isn't it nice that our kids give us pep talks, too - they just don't always say it out loud. It was nice getting together late last week for a little pep talk of our own. Love you.