Sunday, October 03, 2010

planting seeds

I am always looking for ways to plant the seeds of God's word into the hearts of my kids. I have memories of my Mom singing scriptures with us and hanging the verses in the kitchen to help us remember what was really important. I am so thankful for this....these hidden verses have been the source of great strength in hard times. And now I have the chance to introduce my kids to the truth - such a great responsibility and joy! Here are a few things we are doing to hide God's word in our hearts...

1.ABC memory verses - these were given to me by a friend a few years back and have been fun and invaluable. I have finally found the best time to work on them each day. We read, sing, and memorize them at snack time each day. When each child comes downstairs after naptime, they grab a snack and sit down at our little table in the kitchen nook. They read and review then while they eat their snack. Then when they finish snack each kid recites as many as they can. I put their name on the back of the card they complete. We add at least one verse a week. They are doing great, and ask to do their "ABC verses" every day!

2. Seeds Family Worship - Our church is using this curriculum in children's church. For each lesson there is a memory verse put to song. We listen to the cd in the car. We started listening to the cd at the beginning of school and the kids have all memorized 12 songs - 12 scriptures! This has been life-changing for me as well. Car time is now meaningful and has eternal value. Can't beat that!

3. Awana - This ministry is in full swing at our church on Sunday nights. Jack is in his 2nd year of Sparks, Josie in her 2nd year of Cubbies, and Kate is in Puggles. All three classes teach God's word in fun, memorable ways. I am enjoying being one of the Cubbies teachers, and doing the lesson with Jack and Josie on Saturday mornings. They wear their vests with pride and I sew on the patches as they memorize the scripture each week. My hope and prayer is that these scriptures will be bound on my kids' hearts all their lives!



2 comments:

King's Krew said...

Would you mind sharing those ABC Bible verses ? I would love make some for Ellie ! Very cute way to teach them !

Susanna said...

How can I get some ABC Bible Verses? They are such a fantastic way to get God's Word into the little ones. I'm still so impressed with how you do it with four kiddos! We have three little ones now and I do find it hard to get everything done in the day with homework etc and then be able to motivate the boys to want to learn about God. We have Bible Story Songs playing in the car constantly but having these memory verses up in the kitchen sounds fab! Anyway...thanks for sharing. Wonderful idea for little ones. x