Tuesday, October 12, 2010

room with a story





In August we started slowly changing bedrooms in our house. We decided that Jack needed his own space (he has always shared with Josie) and that Kate needed to move in with Josie, and into a big girl bed. Jack was clear about wanting a baseball room. The girls didn't have an opinion about decorating but liked my ideas for their shabby chic/vintage/family history room. I love that every piece in their room has a story. In fact, recently my Dad labeled the back of several things in their room so we will never forget. A few things to look for....
1. My Granny's quilt topper used as the curtain. She found this in Tennessee while at the Crockett reunion.
2. The antique bedspreads found in Clifton, TX. My Aunt Joyce and Mom are working on the girls handmade quilts (breathtaking!) but these bedspreads are so sweet and fun for the moment.
3. The framed quilt square made by my Dad's grandmother Ollie T. Pickett.
4. The framed rose pencil sketch by my Granny, Josephine Donaldson.
5. My favorite all-time piece of furniture - the old kitchen cabinet. This was in my bedroom growing up. Mom used this as a changing table for the three of us, then it became a desk/workstation for me. I have used it as a changing table for my baby girls and it will be fun to see what they use it for as they grow!
6. The framed certificate of my Granny's - given to her when she was promoted in the church education department in October 1932!
7. The ABC sampler made by Joan Davis, Will's mom, in 1973.
8. The small cowboy boots that I wore as a baby girl in San Saba, Texas.
9. My collection of antique plates from all over, mostly antique stores in Clifton. I love old plates, and was so excited to display them in the girls room!

The girls are really enjoying sharing a room, especially Kate. It means so much for them to be surrounded by pieces of their history.

2 comments:

KatieKate said...

I, of course, want to live in this room :)

I love the hcanging table/desk/hutch! What a great piece!

Lisa said...

I can't believe I still haven't seen the new rooms in person. You did a great job on both of them!