Monday, August 15, 2011

"can't stop the memories, man!"




We've been reminiscing a lot lately. Something about starting a new school year makes you reflect on years gone by. Lately it's like I have been looking at Jack and Josie for the first time. I look at them and I see the babies they were. I think about Jack coming to the hospital (at 18 months old) to meet his new sister. I think about Josie wrapped in her swaddling blanket and sucking her left thumb. I think about the two of them singing happy birthday to Jesus that Christmas in 2006....so many memories.
And tomorrow, Jack begins his 2nd grade adventure and Josie starts a brand new adventure of school, away from Mommy, for two days a week. It's a big step for our family. We celebrated today by taking the "bigs" on one last hurrah to Hawaiian Falls. Will and I got a little teary as we watched Jack and Josie hold each other's hands as they walked through the park and ride all the rides together. What a bond they have!
As little memories have come to mind the past week, I have retold the stories to the kids. Some have been funny. Some memories make me a little sad. But all of them have been special and important in making us the family we are today. When I asked the crew to try to remember a family memory, Jack got a far-off look in his eyes, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "you can't stop the memories, man!"
And we won't.

No comments: