Sunday, August 21, 2011


Dear Kate,

For weeks you have been talking about "turning" four. You long to be a big kid. I have seen you grow so much in a year, and I am so proud of you. You are still on the line between baby and kid....one moment you want me to hold you and carry you when you fall, and in the next moment, you demand to pick out your own clothes and get dressed on your own.

You have always been the kid that surprises me. Even at birth, I couldn't figure you out. You cried a lot. You had a ton of dark hair. You didn't want your blankie, a pacifier or a swaddle! You humbled me in a way, and I learned to trust God more. Because you have always taken up so much of my time and energy, I think the rewards of being your Mom doubled as well! Your smile warms my heart. Your sweet little voice touches my soul. Your hugs make everything ok.

Now at four, you are needing me less, and it is bittersweet. The things you love, you love fiercely - babies, dress-up, Veggie Tales, dancing. I know in my heart that God has great things for you, and I am excited to watch His plans unfold. This year I will homeschool you for pre-K and you will go to a speech class for a few hours a week. You have come so far, and we are so proud of your speech. Your vocabulary is amazing and we marvel everyday at the little expressions you use. Just today after I braided your hair, you told me, "Mommy, I really need to go show the mirror my hair. It's just so.....nice."

I want you to know, Kate, that God made you for His own glory. Our prayer for you is that you will reflect Him in all you do, even at the age of four. This is going to be a great year - a year of growth and adventure. I am so thankful to be your Mommy.

Happy four, dear KatieKate. You are loved.

No comments: