Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy and Sad

I was given some advice recently. A young father said that a sure way to connect with your children every day is to simply ask them, "What made you happy today? What made you sad?" I thought this was brilliant so I have been trying to do this at the end of the day or at dinner time. Obviously little Kate can't answer so I will answer for her.
There are so many sweet moments with these three. Three unique personalities with unique purposes. Watching them grow and getting to know their hearts is a privilege. I look forward to adding another to the mix in April!


JACK:
Happy? Eating lunch with Daddy.
Sad? When you didn't let me open my lollipop all by myself.
*This is our little cowboy on Cowboy Day at school last week. He was the real deal...Justin boots, jeans, belt, cowboy hat, and his Uncle Clay's pearl snap western shirt. He loved every minute of it!*


JOSIE:
Happy? Rolling, swinging and dancing at gymnastics class.
Sad? When Jack wouldn't let me play in the sandbox.


KATE:
Happy? I am happy when mommy forgets to put the gate up at the bottom of the stairs.
Sad? I am sad when I get my nose or face wiped.

Moms can play this game too!
Happy? It made me happy to see my boy in his Uncle Clay's western shirt last week.
Sad? I am sad today because it is Clay's birthday. He would've been 33 and I still miss him every day. If you knew Clay, you know that he is celebrating in Heaven. I love and miss you big brother, and I will see you soon.

1 comment:

KatieKate said...

I loooove that little snap shirt... we just bought Ry her first one for the Fall. The story behind Jack's is even sweeter.

Happy Birthday, Clay. We all miss your crazy self.