Thursday, May 28, 2009

may memoirs

As the month of May wraps up this week, I want to remember so many things about our life right now. I realize that, even though some days seem to drag, that time is passing quickly. I want to hold onto these moments...

My handsome five year-old is busy! He enters our bedroom each morning at 7:30 ready to play hard. A routine morning for him consists of playing baseball, basketball, and soccer outside, possibly entertaining the sisters in their pretend play, watching his PBS show of choice (WordWorld, SuperWhy) some sort of school activity that I prepare, playing Memory or Uno, and eating a snack. He is totally ready for kindergarten! He amazes us with his reading, counting, time telling, and problem solving. He is happiest when all the family is home and joining him in his sport of choice. A new obsession thanks to Dad is collecting and studying his baseball cards. Should a 5 year-old really know all the stats that he knows?

Josie and Kate have started playing together more and more. This brings me so much joy! They play babies - swaddling them, feeding them, doctoring them, and putting them to bed in different places in the house. Josie is still the one who is most interested in her new brother. She is my "Sweetie-Jo." She loves to garden and is doing well growing tomatoes in our backyard...faithful to check on them and water them each day. She is happiest when cuddling with her blankie, doggie "Curly," baby and sucking her thumb. Her newest "great idea" is that we need a pet cat because "it wouldn't be noisy."

Kate continues to make us all laugh with her infectious smile and jibberish. This month she has really enjoyed pretend playing with Josie and throwing balls to Jack. She begs to listen to the Wiggles cd each day while she and Jo dress up and dance. Although still a picky eater, I saw her try a few new things this month. We'll just keep putting all the foods in front of her! She loves to fill up her sand buckets with random things and carry them around the backyard. Will and I love putting her to bed each night. Really, this is our favorite time with her. She loves books, sitting so still to hear every page. I sing two songs to her each night and rock her while she cuddles with her blankie in my lap. She is happiest when roaming the backyard...so curious and creating her own fun or following big bro and sis in their games.

Baby Sam is 6 weeks old and so sweet. He is a little uncomfortable right now with his reflux but can be consoled with a snug swaddle and pacifier. I love to hold this boy! He seems so long to me but fits just right in my arms. His longest stretch of sleep at night has been 4 hours but I am hopeful he will stretch it out in the next month. He is smiling and cooing and trying to push up during tummy time. His first outing was this week to my 6-week postpartum checkup and to the Starrs house. His blue eyes are breathtaking! He is happiest when swaddled and held close.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

In all the hustle and bustle it really is nice to make time to write all of this down. Although the days seem long now, I have a feeling that one day we'll forget what we did on a random day in May 2009. SO glad we got to see you guys and hang out for a while. Rachel is still talking about baby Sam and when he can come back to our house.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. I hope one day you plan to have it all printed for a book for each of your kids. You have inspired me to try my hand at blogging....we will see how it goes. Congrats on such a beautiful family. Jessica N

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

You are so good at writing all the memories down of your children... i hope that one day they appreciate all of this and the time you took to remember these moments.