It has been almost three years since our firstborn was diagnosed with Hemophilia. In that three years, I have been become the expert on blood disorders. I spend "free" time in the evenings reading about it. I research scholarships, camps, medical bracelets, and case studies. I definitely still have sad moments where I ache for my son and his future. I still cry thinking about what he might miss. But mostly I am determined to help make his life better and fuller.
When he recently broke his arm and we had to spend a few days in the hospital, I found myself frustrated...frustrated that it was taking some nurses so long to find his veins, frustrated that no one seemed to be listening to me, his advocate. I remember thinking multiple times - "if only I had the training, I would do such a better job than you, and you, and you."
So, I am going to do something about it. I am not the type to wait and around and let things happen. I make things happen. For about a year now I have been thinking about advancing my medical knowledge and going to nursing school. I have a Bachelor of Science from A&M, so I have most pre-requisite courses. I don't know how long it will take. I don't know how we will pay for it. But, I am going to do it for Jack, and for all the families out there like us who need good pediatric nurses.
Please pray for us as we make plans.
7 comments:
Oh, sweet Cara,
What an amazing road in your journey! Going back to school at 40 and getting my ADN RN has been such a blessing! I have felt the Lord's Pleasure in loving His creation by practicing nursing. I'm sure you have discovered that there are programs to recieve a BSN when you already have a Bachelor's degree. It can sometimes take as little as 18 months, however intensive. My counsil would be NOT do an ADN program. It can "seem" like a less expensive and less time consuming course, but in the long run I have found that it may not be so.
You will be an amazing nurse, God's heart and hands. You will give dignity to those who need it when they are most vulnerable. You will give comfort and truth to those full of fear. Your life already is a sweet fragrance to our Father, and it will continue in an even richer aroma. It took me six years to get that two year degree, the journey has been worth every investment! I will tell you what my Daddy told me when I began..."You can eat ANY elephant, one bite at a time." That is from an Aggie of '45. His way of saying the Lord will miraculously give His abundant grace for the task.
God continue to bless you and your sweet family
Rebecca Pederson
YOU are a champion. And, you will do marvelous things. So excited for this new journey!!!
Cara,
You will make a most excellent nurse. When Rick went through cancer we initially seemed to find every Doctor & Nurse that didn't seem to truly care. Most were satisfied by stamping some sort of illness on Rick & they all seemed SO far fetched for me his wife that knew him so well. My husband having panic attacks, I think not! Panic attacks & thyroid cancer are quite different in my book. All of that to say, I remember researching, digging, staying up so late trying to find SOMETHING to explain these crazy symptoms my husband hand. We were finally directed to some amazing doctors & nurses who truly cared and stuck by us through the long haul! I am still SO very grateful to these amazing people who chose to take the journey with us. Doctors who gave us their personal cell numbers and nurses who took the time to care.
I share all of that to say, GOOD nurses are needed! You are an amazing woman & mother. You will be such an excellent nurse!
We will join in prayer for you that God's favor would be on you and your family as you embark on this new journey. We pray for provision and guidance as you take the next steps!
Sharyn McElmurry
You will be awesome and will make all your future patients and their mommies lucky to have you.
YES!!!
Just wanted to say that I'm so proud of you and your decision. I know it won't be easy, but I'm here to support you every step of the way. Love you!
Cara,
Very excited for your road ahead. We will keep you all in our prayers and look forward to "being there" as this unfolds.
We love you, Shannon
Post a Comment