Monday, May 12, 2008

me and my planets


In the first months following Kate's birth, I remember feeling surrounded. I was home alone with three children 3 and under, and they all needed me desperately...to feed them, change them, take them to the potty, tie their shoes, get them dressed, swing them, get their crayons down, swaddle them, put on their costumes, hold them, read to them...you get the point. I remember vividly a phone conversation with my Mom. I was nursing Kate on the patio while watching J and J play in the yard. While talking to her, J and J kept coming up to me, needing different things from me. I guess Mom could sense my frustration. She said, "Cara, you're the sun, and they are your planets. Someday they won't need you as much, and you will miss this time. Enjoy it."
To my planets - Jack, Jo, Kate....I am so glad to be your Mom. I love that you need me. You are my inspiration and the reason I do what I do every day. You are my gifts, my treasures. I will miss our days together when you are grown and have little planets of your own. Thank you for making me a Mom.

4 comments:

kristi said...

Cara: Your Mom is so wise. She is so right though and it is good to have someone to remind you that these are precious times and one day we will be longing to tie shoes, rock and hold our babies, read to, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Kristi Wagner

Lisa said...

And what cute planets they are! Love the pic - hope you had a happy mom's day. Let's try and get together this week.

Linda D said...

this is a cute pic. i never take pictures with my girls i need to do that more.

Clay said...

Cara-
Thank you for sharing your wise Mom with me. I think we're both better off with bits of wisdom from Mam. Cute photo...did you get a new rocker? Love you- K