
After greeting me today after school, these were Jack's first words.
I choked on my tears...from joy and pride.
We can't believe our son is old enough to go to school but it is surely time.
He is ready in every sense of the word. He was so excited the night before that he had a hard time sleeping. He woke up smiling this morning at 6:45, ate a huge breakfast and even complied with the massive amounts of first day photos. Will and I drove him to school, sang "This is the Day" in the car together and prayed over him when we got there. We walked in together and when he found his name on the door, he grinned from ear to ear!
He immediately found his seat and wrote his name on his paper and started coloring. No tears. No anxiety. No looking back. We stayed for a few more photos, gave him hugs, and slowly walked out. I turned back one last time and just watched him...and I had flashbacks of the last five years at home...great memories made with my son that I will never forget...singing, dancing, playing games, learning letters and numbers, cooking together, reaching milestones. And then Will grabbed my hand and we kept walking.
The day has been so busy that we haven't had a chance to let it all set in that we have a schoolboy in our house. I don't really think Jack realizes how life is now forever changed and different. I thought he would be totally exhausted, but as soon as got home, he said, "Um, mommy, you ready to play some baseball?" So we played a few innings, had a snack, played with the sisters, ate dinner, took a bath, and he was falling asleep as I read to him at 7pm.
It was a great first day and I will never forget it.


5 comments:
Jack I am so glad you had a great first day! Looks like you are off to a wonderful year! I think it is so great you have amazing Godly parents who have prayed over you so much! You will be such a strong influence in so many lives! Have fun in Kindergarten!
Blessings,
Ashley
I have tears in my eyes.... Job well done mama... I love this post and pray that we will have the same experience in 3 years.... oh how I don't wish another day to go by... thanks for this post.
He looks so grown up! I thought about him - and you guys - a lot yesterday. Praying that today goes just as well. He is so ready that I'm sure he'll do great! How is Josie doing with her role as oldest during the day?
Aww I just teared up a little.
It's so good to hear that Jack had a great first day. He'll have a wonderful year!
Post a Comment