Wednesday, August 12, 2009

countdown to kinder

one new backpack - check
unopened school supplies - check
crisp uniforms - check
one elated five-year old - check
two nostalgic parents - check
three oblivious siblings - check

A week from today our firstborn will take a huge step. Everything is ready, but yet part of me wants to back out! We meet the teacher on Monday, and school starts on Wednesday. This is what I have been preparing him for. He keeps asking about the new friends he will make. You can bet I have been praying for the students and his teacher. We ask for your prayers too!

My mind is racing....did I appreciate all the moments I had with him at home? Did I make the most of teaching him kindness, respect, and humility? Have I encouraged independence and confidence enough? I am so proud of who he has become in five years! He is going to be a light in this world and it is bittersweet to send him.

This house is going to be so quiet without our ringleader and activity coordinator. It is a countdown for all of us. For Will, he will miss coming home to his little buddy at lunchtime. For me, I will miss our conversations and my best helper. For Josie, she will lose direction and her closest companion. Kate will miss her role model and adoring big bro. Sam doesn't know it but he will miss Jack's songs and laughter. Please pray for us as we all adjust!

Kindergarten....ready or not, here we come.


Jack on his first day of Sonshine Club, September 2006

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my I just had tears in my eyes! Have fun in Kindergarten sweet Jack!

Unknown said...

I have such great memories of kindergarten and I know he will, too. But I got a little teary-eyed reading this! Ethan was talking about doing something with Jack in a few weeks and it was kind of sad telling him that we'll have to wait for weekends to see him. Things are a changing!

aldrich4one said...

Oh Cara!!!! You are such a wonderful Momma. I know you have poured your heart and soul into little Jack and will continue to do so. The first day of Kinder is hard on any mom who adores her child. Our prayers are with you and your precious family. Enjoy watching all the changes and growing Jack will accomplish over the next year. Blessings!!

Lynita

Clay said...

Cara-
Jack has grown into such a wonderful 5 year old...he set the tone for the next 6 that have followed after him. We are so encouraged by the Davis parenting plan! You know he is a boy that will be such a treasure to his teacher and fellow classmates. We love that boy and look forward to him setting the school example for the rest of our family to follow! Love you- K